Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Volunteering at The Vortex

Did I mention before that I am now one of the crew of volunteers that keeps The Vortex going? Thought not. Well, I am now into my eleventh month. On average I volunteer for about five or six evenings a month, from 7pm until gone 11pm - once everything is cleared away and ready for the next day. Volunteering involves all sorts of tasks and duties; these can include: shopping e.g. for lemons or loo rolls, serving behind the bar, being on the door to collect money, collecting up bottles, glasses and rubbish at the end of the evening... No pay, but volunteers get to see the gig for free (and others when they're not volunteering.) I also get to meet some like-minded music fans plus the knowledge that I'm helping keep a great venue on its feet.

The reason I bring it up now is that January 26th to 30th is a series of gigs entitled Might I suggest? suggested/curated by Evan Parker. I have volunteered for four out of the five nights. Tonight, Wednesday,  Alex Hawkins' Ensemble is on, with Dominic Lash on bass - one of his last appearances before he disappears off to New York. On Thursday, Parker himself joins Django Bates' trio to celebrate the music of Charlie Parker, as featured on the trio's album Beloved Bird. Friday is the launch gig for Hans Koller's wonderful album Cry, want, which was released on Parker's Psi label at the end of 2010. (On Saturday, young lions Empirical play; they were winners of the Mobo Best Jazz Award for 2010.) To round off a great run, Sunday evening sees Evan Parker paired with Stan Tracey for a freely improvised set. Tracey will also do likewise in a duo with his son Clarke on drums. Tasty, eh?

If the idea of volunteering appeals to you, why not follow this link and click on "Support the Vortex": http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment